>> Monday, 3 June 2013
Taters... remember Samwise Gamgee in The Lord Of The Rings (Two Towers), when he talked about taters...? Po-tay-toes! He stresses to Gollum, "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...". Like Samwise, I too love some taters.
I wanted to do something different with the potatoes for Sunday lunch and this is what I did.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. A cast iron skillet works great for this but any oven-proof pan would do. Let the pan get really hot.
- Season the potatoes with freshly ground black pepper and a little salt (remember you would have cooked the potatoes in salted water; skip the salt if it is not necessary).
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven, drizzle all over with oil, add potatoes and press in to the pan to sear.
- Return pan with potatoes to the oven.
Get a closer look at the crust
- Instead of oil, you can use the drippings from your roast.
- Toss and add chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, oregano or marjoram to the potatoes.
- Roasted garlic.