>> Saturday, 4 September 2010
People do various things to avoid work - some go for a drive, some go shopping, some to a movie, some clean their homes and vehicles. Me? I bake. Continue reading how I avoided writing this week's column and for a cheese scone recipe.
- You'll need some day-old bread (cubed), whole milk, sugar, ground spice or spices of your choice and dried fruit. I generally eye-ball the amount of milk depending on how much bread there is. A 1:1 ratio should work just fine.
- Dissolve the sugar in milk (taste and adjust accordingly).
- Stir in the spices.
- Add the bread and stir to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, take out the mixture, stir in the fruits and bring the pudding to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and the top is nicely browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature - as is, with ice cream or amaretto liqueur